Saturday, June 16, 2012

Android 4.0 ICS On My HTC Incredible

Rooting my Android phone was probably the best thing I've ever done to it, besides taking the little guy home with me, of course. I love the control it gives me over the software I decide to load onto my device, which has amazing impact. For starters, the operating systems available give me great battery life, and are a much lighter package than any OEM system with all of their "bloatware". And of course, I've been able to upgrade my phone to 2.3 Gingerbread before HTC released their update for it. To be honest, I'm still not sure if they've released their build for the Incredible yet.

Mostly, I've used CyanogenMod 7 throughout the life of my phone. I've dabbled in OMGB and MIUI and both are really good. Although I was dissapointed to hear that the Incredible will probably not be getting CyanogenMod 9, which is the new ICS version of CyanogenMod. I was pretty dissapointed at the notion that my device, a mere year and a half old, was too much of an antique to get any kind of support in the modding community. But then, I found AOPK. I'd heard of them, but they didn't have a build for the Incredible, until recently. I first attempted to install 39, and ran into issues with my display. Seemed like a kernel issue, considering that it seemed like it was having issues displaying info on my screen correctly. However, the RootzWiki thread on AOKP for the Incredible informed me that builds 38 and 39 aren't working for this device, and 37 is the most current working build.

So far, I'm quite impressed at how well ICS works on my Incredible. I was worried that since it really only meets minimum specs for ICS, that it'd be akin to running 1.6 Donut back in Android's prime. But honestly, while I do notice that it's not as snappy as it could be, I don't notice any significant lags or delays that would cause me to worry about using it as my daily driver. Which is exactly what I'm gonna do for the foreseeable future; enjoying Chrome Beta and other features and software that until now I was unable to use.

UPDATE: After a day or so running this as my primary driver, I decided to go back to CyanogenMod. The less than snappy response time does take a toll as the day goes on. The memory usage is almost always up near maximum and it caused a couple of crash reboots, a bit too frequently for my taste of a daily driver. I do have a clockworkmod backup of it in case I want to revisit it, but the recent update to CM 7.2.0 is super snappy and quick and just works better with my hardware as a daily driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment